This is a really quick and easy recipe for Chocolate Mousse. I’m not a fan of any manufactured food product, so i’m not going to cheat by using a chocolate bar broken up and melted. You know what, I hate it when people do that, especially when it’s so easy to make from scratch.
This recipe is great for chocaholics or even people who do not have a sweet tooth. You can make it as strong, or sweet as you like. Sweetness is determined by the banana, as bananas will develop a different sugar structure as they ripen. The more aged they are, the more the fructose there will be. Fructose is the harmful part of the sugar complex, so you are better selecting a banana that is definitely not green, just yellow with a few brown spots. You may need to experiment with differing sizes and ripeness.
The recipe I use is this. It will make two or three servings.
100g Cold pressed Coconut oil
100g Cocoa butter
2 hp tbs Cocoa powder
Warm a small mixing bowl in an oven on a low heat.
Gently warm the butter, and cocoa butter in a pan. Some people will use a bowl over a steaming pan, but you are not melting pre-made chocolate. Just be careful, as you do not need a lot of heat. When the fats are melted, add in your Cocoa powder. Stir until well combined, then turn off the heat.
Get the mixing bowl out of the oven. Having this bowl warm will prevent the chocolate from solidifying too quickly. Peel bananas and put in bowl. Pour over chocolate sauce. Then use a hand blender to wizz until perfectly smooth. Pour in to ramekins, then place in your fridge. Leave them for an hour, as they are better when cool.
The other day I had a mad craving for chocolate, weird as I don’t really eat the stuff these days. I reckon it was brought upon by a coffee I had the day before, I don’t usually drink that either. It must’ve been a craving for caffeine, it’s the only thing that makes sense. Anyway, my wife eats a lot of 70% chocolate, but a while back she had tried 80%. She only managed to eat one square. She did this twice, with two different manufacturers. So, we had two almost complete bars of 80% in a cupboard. The stuff had been there for over a year, so was past the best date. I suddenly remembered this and thought to myself, i’ll have a go at that strong chocolate, it’s never going to get eaten anyway.
Here I am, munching on this 80%, thinking this isn’t too bad, I actually quite like it. Before an hour was up, i’d eaten the two bars – 180 grams. I initially felt a little bit wired so drank some water. About three hours later, I am high as a kite. Spaced out man, in a really weird way. Repetition was great, so was mumbling and walking in circles. I wasn’t sick, but had great bowel movements. This lasted until the next day, I didn’t get much sleep that night either.
The next day, I passed a stool which was pale and filled with fatty globs. It turns out this is due to caffeine overdose limiting bile flow. I may have also been slightly poisoned by Theobromine, which is the substance in cocoa that can kill dogs. Theobromine can also kill humans, if eaten in large enough quantity. Caffeine gets metabolised to it aswell inside the body. Theobromine breaks down into the same metabolites as marijuana, which explains the drug induced state. I must also be more susceptible than most, as key liver enzymes which break down such poisons usually stop negative reactions. I know I have a slow metabolism, so this is another reason for me to not eat too much chocolate.
I wrote an article on chocolate here.